The most popular tv show at the moment. It has everything: sex, violence, costumes, war tactics, politics, murder plots, soap love stories, family values, fantasies, humor & wit …
This is a show made to be popular. They invested heavily. Often when tv shows are expensive in production, there is an agenda.
So what are the values this tv show is selling us?
- Bloodlines are important, even if blood connections are unknown. This is why the true identities of some of the characters are kept unknown for many years.
- Prophecies shape history. Understanding the old riddles and fulfilling these prophecies is what real heroes do. The Lord of the Light.
- Heroes that are not from noble backgrounds, are only heroes because they are 100% loyal to their kings and/or lords. When no noble blood, you are who you serve, or not.
- Many noble men (especially men) have unique gifts, like the courage of Jon Snow, visions of Bran Stark, and the mother of (fire) dragons.
- Large changes come from (they are so progressive!) noble leaders, like the abandonment of slavery, the alliances with the wildlings, the great wall.
- To save mankind, all the kingdoms need to fight together in the great war: “There is only one war that matters!”. Call it a global government.
It is a good tv series, but it is deliberately shaping how we should view international politics and political change in history. They want us to believe in the Lord of the Light. And they want us to follow the so-called elite, as destiny has already been defined. Ignore prophecies and your entire civilization will be brought down? Many players in the series dedicate their life to realize their (prophesized) goals. It is odd.